Wolverines Stopped by Ospreys

Wolverines Stopped by Ospreys

DOVER, Del. - The Wesley College Field Hockey team played a very hard-fought first half, sticking with the Stockton College Ospreys for the first 35 minutes, but were outlasted by the non-conference opponent, falling 6-0 on Thursday evening.

The Wolverines went through four goalies, with Sidney Knott earning the start and playing through the entire first half. The freshman allowed one goal and made four saves in the first 35 minutes. Bridget Wood began the second half and made one save while allowing two goals in just over 15 minutes. Sydney Stump and Makenzie McIntyre each saw time in net as well. Morgan Seymour came away with a pair of defensive saves as well.

Wesley was outshot 22-7 by the Ospreys but each team earned six penalty corners on the night. Te Wolverines had four shots in the first half and three in the second half. Five of their seven shots were on goal on the evening.

In the fourth minute of play, Stockton got on the board when Kellie Brining ran down a ball that seemed destined for the end line. The Osprey forward hustled to save the ball and centered it to the goal mouth where Emily McNeill finished it to put Stockton ahead 1-0. 

The Wolverines had a pair of great first half opportunities but were turned away by the Stockton goalkeeper on both. In the seventh minute, Alexiss Hulse drove within the shooting arc, backed up and scooped a shot high but the attempt was turned away by the goaltender's blocker. In the 24th minute, Taylor Timmons gathered a pass from the midfield and ran out on a breakaway, beating her defender and turning towards goal. The forward ripped a shot but was denied by stacked pads. The Wolverines managed two more shots on goal in the half but were turned away and went into the break trailing 1-0.

In the second half, the Ospreys turned up the pressure and created opportunities off turnovers. The visiting team managed five second half goals while holding Wesley to just one shot on goal in the final 35 minutes. The Wolverines' best opportunity came in the 65th minute when Taylor Timmons beat the keeper with a shot to the near post, but the attempt was stopped and cleared by Ospreys' defender Jacquie Fenton.

The Wolverines move to 1-5 on the season and will take the weekend off before hosting Neumann on Tuesday, Sept. 20.