Men’s Lacrosse comes back to down Marymount with late goal

Men’s Lacrosse comes back to down Marymount with late goal

DOVER, Del. – The Wesley College men's lacrosse team won a thrilling 9-8 game against the Marymount (Va.) Saints in Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) action on Wednesday.

Trailing 4-0 in the early moments of the second quarter, Adam Tewey cleared a ball into the Wesley zone and found William Poppe to net Wesley's opening goal of the game. It was Poppe's first goal of his collegiate career.

Wesley cut the lead to 4-3 heading into the halftime break when Josh Wassum scored back-to-back goals in the closing moments of the first half.

Zach Farnell tied the game at four in the first two minutes of the second half with a goal when Wesley was shorthanded. However, Marymount responded with back-to-back goals to push their lead back to two goals in the middle part of the third quarter.

Goals by Farnell and Leo Kelly just over a minute apart in the third quarter would tie the game against at six but Marymount would get a goal just before the quarter horn to take a 7-6 lead heading into the final period.

Marymount would get a goal two minutes into the fourth quarter to take an 8-6 lead, but Wesley would start their comeback. Mitch Griffith passed the ball ahead to Wassum, who passed it to Chris Smith. Smith would bury a shot past the goalie to cut the Marymount lead to a goal.

A minute later, Wassum found Tewey wide open in front of the net to tie the game at eight with over 10 minutes to play in regulation.

Both defenses held strong in the waning moments of the game. A turnover by Marymount's Matthew Ebert caused by Ben Mitzel allowed Wesley to gain possession in the final minute of the game. Following a timeout, Weitzel would be able to push past his defender and scorch a shot by the Marymount goalie with 46 seconds left in regulation, which would end up being the game-winner.

Wassum and Farnell each recorded a pair of goals in the win. Wassum assisted on two goals. Tewey, Smith, Poppe, Kelly and Weitzel each added a goal for the Wolverines.

On defense, Griffith and Nolan Vesey each caused three Marymount turnovers. Mitzel, Zach Darnell, Joshua Short and Carlin Fernandez each registered two caused turnovers.

James Cella stopped nine shots in goals for the win in goal for Wesley.

The Wolverines will be back in action on Saturday when they head south to Buena Vista, Va. to take on the Southern Virginia Knights. The CAC contest will begin at 1 p.m.