Maywood holds off Men’s Lacrosse’s second-half surge

Maywood holds off Men’s Lacrosse’s second-half surge

DOVER, Del. – The Wesley College men's lacrosse team hosted the Marywood Pacers in an Atlantic East Conference matchup and fell short, 11-9 at home on Saturday.

Leo Kelly got Wesley on the board early with the first goal of the game just under two minutes into the first quarter. After Marywood went on a 5-0 run stretching across the first and second quarters, Wesley would score a pair of goals in the final five minutes of the first half to cut into the Marywood lead, 5-3. However, Marywood would capitalize on a late Wesley penalty in the first half with a goal from Matt Mitarotonda with 11 seconds left in the second quarter to push their lead to 6-3 heading into halftime.

Marywood scored first in the second half but Wesley would respond with a goal from Zach Farnell to close the gap to 7-4 with just under eight minutes left in the third quarter. Back-to-back goals from Zach Vaughan extended the Marywood's lead to 9-5 with less than two minutes left in the quarter.

Wesley would go on a run of their own, scoring three unanswered goals to cut the Marywood lead down to 9-7 with just under 11 minutes left in regulation. Wesley and Marywood traded goals during the final portion of the game but the Marywood defense held off the late Wesley rally.

Farnell led Wesley's offense with four goals to match a career-high. Kelly added two goals for his third multi-goal game of the season. Hallock, Kyle Mackall-Lloyd and Nick Bruhn chipped in with a goal apiece. Bruhn also scooped up three ground balls.

Mackall-Lloyd, Jack Guzman and Adam Tewey all handed out an assist in the loss. 

Defensively, Ben Mitzel recorded a team-best four ground balls. Dylan Sicca outsaved Matt Leen 14-11 during their times in net.

Vaughan and Mitarotonda paced Marywood with three goals each.

Wesley will return to action when they host the Neumann Knights on Wednesday. The faceoff for the Atlantic East Conference contest is set for 7 p.m.