Second Half Sinks Wolverines

Photo Credit: Danielle Reed
Photo Credit: Danielle Reed

DOVER, Del. - The Wesley College men's soccer team fell 2-0 to Capital Athletic Conference rival York College (Pa.) on Tuesday night at Drass Field. 

The Wolverines played the Spartans to a scoreless first half, despite being outshot 8-4 in the first frame. The home team's best chance came in the 26th minute when Will Mileski drew a foul at the top of the box. R.J. Dina touched the indirect kick to Danny Garza who fired a shot from 25 yards out just over the crossbar. York's best chance in the first half came in the 11th minute. Greg Bechard fired a cross in from the right side into the goal mouth. Matt Freibaum connected with a diving header, but sent the chance wide of the far post. At the half, both teams remained scoreless.

In the second half, York benefitted from a hard challenge and a bit of good fortune. Freibaum chased down a through ball past the back line and got a shot off just before colliding with Wesley goalkeeper Zack Baker. The two both went down inside the box while the ball squirted directly to Joel Teston who placed it calmly into the empty net. Wesley lost a player to a red card in protest of the score and were forced to play a man down the rest of the way.

Trailing 1-0 and playing with just 10 men, the Wolverines continued to press forward. The Spartans capitalized with a counter-attack in the 67th minute for a second goal. Teston found Greg Bechard in the box and the midfielder calmly slotted it past the Wesley keeper for a second goal.

The Wolverines kept pushing numbers forward but could not muster many quality scoring opportunities. The squad were held without a corner kick throughout the entire contest, and managed just four second half shots. After the final seconds ticked off, the Wolverines found themselves on the receiving end of a 2-0 loss.

Baker finished with four saves in net for the Wolverines while York's Charlie Johnson finished with a three-save shutout. 

The Wolverines move to 8-7-1 on the season with a 5-2-0 record in conference play. The team will return to action on Saturday, October 24 in a CAC contest against St. Mary's College.