Wolverines Hold on to Clinch Home Field in Playoffs

Photo Credit: Danielle Reed
Photo Credit: Danielle Reed

DOVER, Del. - The Wesley College men's soccer team earned a crucial three points in the Capital Athletic Conference standings with a 3-2 victory over St. Mary's College on Saturday night at Drass Field. 

The win improves the team's record to 9-7-1 on the year, eclipsing their win total from last season, but more importantly moved them to 6-2-0 in conference play and guaranteed a home playoff game for the Wolverines, something that hasn't occured since 2008. 

The victory came on senior night, where Wesley honored its seven graduating seniors. Ryan Sanders, R.J. Dina, Bryant Rashford, C.J. Harvell, Tyler Dominiak, and Tobi Sowande were all honored pre-game and each received playing time in the Wolverines' vital win.

Ryan Sanders earned the win in net, making nine saves to preserve the victory for the Wolverines. Zack Haussler made seven saves in net for the Seahawks but took the loss.

Adrian Coverdale scored a pair of goals to give the Wolverines a 2-0 lead. The first came in the opening period. Danny Garza beat a defender down the right flank, cut back from the end line and served a low ball into the goal mouth. Coverdale hit a one-touch volley that beat the SMC keeper and gave the Navy and White an early lead. 

In the second half, the freshman added his second score on a similar play. This time the pass came from Mileski on the left flank to Coverdale in the middle who finished it off again. With 38 minutes to play, Wesley held a 2-0 lead.

The Seahawks stayed persistent though, scoring a pair of goals to tie the game in the 78th and 80th minutes. Zach Fontenot received a pass from Juwan Kearson on the right side nearly 25 yards out. He took one dribble and blasted a rocket that found its way just inside the far post to make it 2-1. Two minutes later, Kearson constructed another chance, this time finding Nick Tait on a slick through ball. Tait finished it off with finesse to tie the game with just over 10 minutes to play.

With the score tied, Coverdale made another big play for the Wolverines. The pesky forward picked off a misplayed pass by a Seahawks defender and took it down on a breakaway. He slid the ball to his left to beat the keeper and was about to slot it in the empty net before he was taken down in desperation by the St. Mary's defender. The referee ruled a penalty kick for the Wolverines. Will Mileski stepped up to the 12-yard dash and calmly buried the PK in the bottom right corner for the go-ahead goal.

The score held as the game-winner and Wesley earned the crucial victory over their CAC opponents.

The Wolverines now has 18 points in the conference standings, trailing only York (6-1-1, 19 points). Wesley will travel to Salisbury on Wednesday, October 28 for a game that will likely sort out the second and third seeds in the CAC playoffs. With a victory, Wesley would earn second seed in the tournament and a first round bye. A loss would leave the Wolverines in third, with the team hosting the sixth seed in the first round of the tournament.