Wolverines Fall Just Short of Major Upset

Wolverines Fall Just Short of Major Upset

DOVER, Del. - The Wesley College women's basketball team nearly pulled off an upset of the Capital Athletic Conference leading Marymount University Saints on Wednesday night, but saw a one-point lead vanish in the fourth quarter as the Saints pulled out a 57-52 win over the Wolverines.

Alexus Stroud led the Wolverines with 15 points off of the bench as every member of the team who entered the game scored at least one field goal. Brionna Johnson pulled down a team-high 14 rebounds, but was held to just five points by the Marymount defense. Adriane Fraser and Maura Binkley each made big plays with five points apiece, while Tiyanna Gibbs snatched five steals.

In the first quarter, both teams traded baskets for the majority of the frame but Wesley didn't grab a lead until three seconds remaining in the quarter. Trailing 12-9 with less than a minute in the quarter, Gibbs drilled a three to tie the game. After a Marymount basket, Brionna Johnson knocked down two free throws with 12 seconds left, making it 14-14. On the ensuing posession, Gibbs earned a steal and found Stacey O'Neale for an easy transition bucket with as time expired to give Wesley a 16-14 lead after the first.

Marymount answered Wesley's run-and-gun style with a two-headed inside attack in the second quarter. Forwards Miranda Krott and Nicole Viscuso combined for the Saints' first eight points of the quarter, propelling them to a 22-16 lead. Wesley trailed by as many as nine points, but finished the frame on a 12-4 run to cut the margin to 29-28 at halftime.

In the third quarter, the Wolverines' role players stepped up their game as the squad regained the lead. Wesley reserves Adriane Fraser and Maura Binkley combined for eight of the team's 15 points in the quarter. Midway through the period, Binkley hit a contested jumper, drew the foul, and completed the three-point play from the foul line to give Wesley their largest lead of the game, 38-32. After a 10-2 run by the Saints, the Wolverines trailed 42-40 entering the final minute of the third, but Fraser drilled a deep trifecta to give the home team a 43-42 as the squad entered the final period.

In the fourth quarter, Marymount's staunch defense turned the tide of the game. Wesley scored just nine points on 4-for-16 shooting as the Saints turned up their defensive intensity to earn the victory. With 4:06 remaining a Stroud three-pointer cut the Saints' advantage to 51-50, but Marymount forced a pair of Wesley turnovers and limited the Wolverines to one made field goal down the stretch as the Navy and White fell 57-52.

Wesley moves to 4-13 on the season with a 3-7 mark in conference play. The Wolverines will return to action on Saturday when they travel to Mary Washington to take on the Eagles.