Wolverines Hold off Knights for Non-Conference Road Win

Wolverines Hold off Knights for Non-Conference Road Win

GLENSIDE, Pa. - The Wesley College Women's Basketball team held off a pesky Arcadia University squad in the final minutes of the fourth quarter to earn a 71-63 victory over the Knights on Sunday afternoon. 

The Wolverines drilled seven three point shots on the day, and won the battle on the boards outrebounding the Knights 51-34. Wesley had to overcome 25 turnovers to earn the victory, but were aided by their 70.6% foul shooting clip, an area in which they have struggled earlier in the season. 

Tiyanna Gibbs led the way with her second double-double of the season recording 17 points and 12 rebounds for the Wolverines. Monshea Newsome-Murray added 13 points, nine rebounds, and six assists while Alexus Stroud came off the bench for 15 points. Brionna Johnson added nine points and nine rebounds as the Wolverines earned their third straight victory.

The Wolverines fell behind 11-2 in the first four minutes, beginning 0-for-6 from the floor allowing the Knights to build an early lead. Wesley battled back though, drawing to within one on a Gibbs layup that made it 18-17 with 1:29 to go in the quarter. 

Wesley tied the game with the first shot of the second quarter with Stroud drilling a three-pointer to make it 22-22. The triple started an 8-0 run as Adriane Fraser buried a three followed by a Gibbs layup that made it 27-22. The Wolverines led by as many as seven points in the second quarter, but the Knights mounted a 10-2 run to regain the lead. Buckets by Josette Smith, Gibbs, and a Paige Hailstock three gave Wesley a 40-36 lead going into the break.

The Navy and White fell behind halfway through the third quarter, trailing 49-45 with 4:32 left in the frame. An 11-4 run propelled the Wolverines back into the lead by the final whistle in the third and the team took a 56-53 advantage into the final stanza. 

In the final quarter the Wolverines led throughout, but Arcadia threatened in the final two minutes. a Layup with 2:53 to go cut the Wesley lead to 61-59 but Alexus Stroud provided the dagger with a three-pointer on the following Wolverines' possession. Wesley closed out the game going 7-for-8 from the free throw line in the final seconds to preserve the 71-63 win.

The Wolverines improve to 4-1 on the season and will open their Capital Athletic Conference schedule on Wednesday, November 30 when they host Marymount.