Saints' Late Surge Sinks Wolverines

Photo Credit: Leslie Alston
Photo Credit: Leslie Alston

DOVER, Del. - The Wesley College Women's Soccer team struck first and held a slim lead in the second half, but could not hold off their Capital Athletic Conference foes Marymount University as the Saints stole a 3-2 victory at Drass Field Wednesday evening.

Janiah Moore notched a goal and an assist while Aleya Cummings tallied her 13th goal of the season, tying Moore's high-water mark from last year. Sam Brannigan made 13 saves in net for the Wolverines.

Wesley got on the board first scoring in the 29th minute of the game. Cummings drew a foul outside the box and earned a free kick. The freshman served a ball on the ground into the six-yard line where Moore collected and quickly finished to put Wesley ahead 1-0. 

Marymount responded later with a goal of their own. Kirsten Campbell applied pressure down the right side and centered a pass but the ball was cleared by a Wesley defender. The attempt didn't make it far though, as Gretel Bonilla collected the attempted clear and fired a 20-yard shot over the mess in front and into the far post side netting, tying the game before the half.

In the second frame, Wesley took another one goal lead. Madison Roberts intercepted a pass in the midfield and played Aleya Cummings into the attacking zone. Cummings outran a defender and slipped the ball past the sprawling keeper and just inside the far post to put Wesley ahead 2-1.

The Wolverines nearly added a third tally when Moore played Cummings on a perfect through ball into the scoring area. The Marymount keeper made a desperate attempt and snatched the ball from Cummings' feet just before she could get a shot off, keeping the Wolverines ahead by only one. 

The Saints kept marching as they applied constant pressure for the remaining 34 minutes. In the 78th minute, the visitors found the equalizer. Bonilla ripped another shot from the outside, but it was redirected off a Wesley defender on the way to goal. The carom spun off of Brannigan's hand and to the waiting feet of a Marymount attacker who tapped in for the score. 

Just 1:17 later, the Saints broke through again, this time for the lead. Karen Reyes played a threatening ball into the Wolverines' attacking zone and a defensive miscommunication allowed Campbell to run onto it and score again, putting Marymount ahead 3-2.

Wesley's attempt at an equalizer in the final 12 minutes came up short as the Navy and White fell by one goal to the Saints.

The Wolverines move to 4-5-1 on the year and will play host to CAC rival Southern Virginia University on Saturday night as part of Homecoming Weekend.