DOVER, Del. – The Wesley College athletic department held the annual awards ceremony as part of the third annual WESPY's on Sunday at the College Center on Wesley's campus.
All of Wesley's 18 intercollegiate teams were represented and recognized during the ceremony. The athletic department also announced the Wentworth Memorial Award, the Pat Knight Award and the Male and Female Athletes of the Year.
The award winners include:
- Comeback Player of the Year: Matthew Dina
- Community Service Award: Wesley Women's Lacrosse
- Best Defensive Play: Wesley Football overtime goal-line stand at Salisbury
- Best Offensive Play: Jessica Behornar's go-ahead goal in the Atlantic East Field Hockey Championship at Gwynedd Mercy
- Best Win: Wesley Field Hockey Atlantic East Championship win over top-seeded Gwynedd Mercy
- Female Breakthrough Athlete: Emily Caldarelli
- Male Breakthrough Athlete: William Foster
- Female Record-Breaking Performance: Mackenzie Forsythe leading the Atlantic East and breaking the school record for goals in a season
- Male Record-Breaking Performance: Wesley Men's Soccer tying the NCAA record for best year-to-year win-loss turnaround
- Female Pat Knight Award: Christine McDermott, Director of Student Success and Retention
- Male Pat Knight Award: Jared Wilcox, Sports Information Assistant
- Female Wentworth Award: Samantha Williams
- Male Wentworth Award: Alex Stathes
- Female Athlete of the Year: Evelina Sloboh
- Male Athlete of the Year: Brian Cameron, Kai Cole
The Pat Knight Award is named in honor of local sports legend Pat Knight, who for years served as Wesley College's Sports Information Director. The award honors an individual who gives their time to support and enhance the Wesley College athletic experience. The award was given to Christine McDermott, the College's Director of Student Success and Retention and Jared Wilcox, Wesley's Sports Information Assistant.
The Wentworth Award was given to senior women's soccer player Sammy Williams and senior baseball player Alex Stathes. The Wentworth Award is given to student-athletes for their courage, commitment, sportsmanship, and leadership as student-athletes at Wesley.
The Female Athlete of the Year was given to junior track & field athlete Evelina Sloboh. Sloboh won an NCAA Championship in the 60-meter dash at the 2019 NCAA Division III Indoor Track & Field Championship to become Wesley's first-ever female national champion. She won the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Runner of the Month in March and is a two-time Atlantic East Runner of the Week. Sloboh currently holds the school record in the 60-, 100- and 200-meter dashes.
The Male Athlete of the Year was given to junior basketball player Brian Cameron and freshman track & field athlete Kai Cole.
Cameron was named the Atlantic East Conference and ECAC Player of the Year. Cameron also collected All-Region honors from D3hoops.com and the National Association of Basketball Coaches. During the season, Cameron earned the Atlantic East Player of the Week five times, was selected on the D3hoops.com Team of the Week four times and was named the ECAC Division III Player of the Month for December and February.
Cole won the national championship in the 60-meter dash at the 2019 NCAA Division III Indoor Track & Field Championship. Cole holds the school records in the 60-, indoor 200- and outdoor 200-meter dashes. A three-time Atlantic East Runner of the Week, Cole currently holds the nation's top times in the 100- and 200-meter dashes.