Wesley Offense Not Enough to top Washington College

Wesley Offense Not Enough to top Washington College

DOVER, Del. - The Wesley College field hockey team controlled the pace of play for much of their game against Washington College on Sunday at Drass Field but couldn't finish off their opportunities as they fell 2-0 to the Shorewomen.

The Wolverines outshot their opponents 20-12 and earned nine penalty corners while conceding only six, but Washington goalkeeper Sadie Robertson kept the home team out of net with 10 saves, and had one defensive save from Jordan Mitchell, holding Wesley scoreless. Kayla Fromal made five saves in net for the Wolverines while Morgan Seymour made three defensive saves on an impressive sequence in front of the net.

Wesley took control of the game from the opening whistle, earning three penalty corners in the first 10 minutes of play. The chances that the Wolverines generated were turned away by the Washington College defense, our went begging just wide of the post.

Off of a penalty corner in the 21st minute, Renee Schneider found Taylor Timmons on the back post, beating the keeper with the pass. Timmons fired a one-timer but was denied by defender Jordan Mitchell, keeping the game a scoreless tie. The defensive save turned into a two-goal swing as the Shorewomen scored on their next offensive possession to take a 1-0 lead.

In the final 10 minutes of the first half, Rebecca Dvorak and Lauren Niezgoda each ripped a shot on goal, but each attempt was turned away by Washington's Robertson to maintain the visitors' 1-0 advantage.

In the second half, Wesley continued to generate scoring chances. Just 3:36 into the second frame, it looked as if the Wolverines would tie the game, but the shot went just wide of the frame. Morgan Gannon fired a dangerous ball into the goal mouth from the right side. A Washington defender popped it up in the air toward the back post where Niezgoda came crashing in. The Wesley midfielder batted the ball out of the air, but just wide of the goal.

Later in the second half, Renee Schneider looked to have found the tying goal but was denied by Robertson again. Kasey Fry drove a ball into the shooting arc where Schneider deflected it into the air. The ball seemed destined for the upper corner of the net, but Robertson nipped it with her blocker sending it over the crossbar for the save.

In the 57th minute, the Wolverine defense was forced to scramble to keep the game at 1-0. Fromal was caught out of position on a penalty corner, but Seymour was there on the goal line to deny three straight Washington shots. On the third, Seymour blocked the shot with her body, keeping it out of the net, but conceding a penalty stroke. Washington's Elizabeth Davis converted the stroke to make it 2-0.

In the final seconds Wesley kept pressing, playing all the way to the final whistle, but Robertson and the Washington defense held on to earn the 2-0 win over the Wolverines.

Wesley moves to 1-8 on the season and will take on Drew University on Wednesday Sept. 30 at 7:00 p.m.