Cameron's hot hand lifts men's basketball over first-place Marywood, 69-63

Photo by Gary Emeigh
Photo by Gary Emeigh

DOVER, Del. – In the Atlantic East Conference Game of the Week, the Wesley College men's basketball prevailed 69-63 over the top team in the Atlantic East, Marywood Pacers on Saturday.

A packed and lively crowd at Wentworth Gymnasium saw the lead change hands 11 times and the score tied five times. Although Marywood held the narrow edge in shooting, 40.3 percent to Wesley's 35.9 percent from the field, Wesley won the rebounding battle 48-36. On the offensive glass, Wesley outrebounded Marywood 17-9.

Wesley also was able to consistently get to the free-throw line and hit their free throws. Wesley went 17-for-23 (73.9 percent) from the line while Marywood was 7-of-12 from the charity stripe.

Junior guard Brian Cameron netted a career-high 39 points, 22 of which came in the first half, in the win to pace the Wesley offense. Cameron went 13-of-22 from the field, including knocking down a pair of threes and hit 11-of-13 from the free-throw line. He also pulled down six rebounds, stole the ball three times and handed out two assists.

Senior guards Evan Anderson and Tyrone Craven joined Cameron in scoring double figures. Anderson notched 12 points and four rebounds while Craven scored 10 points with five rebounds, three steals, and two assists.

Junior forwards Derick Charles and Terrence Braxton commanded the boards for the Wolverines. Charles pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds and added four points. Braxton tallied nine rebounds and seven assists.

Off the bench, sophomore guard Brandon Lewis recorded six rebounds and four points. Junior forward Tolu Babalola reeled in three rebounds.

Cameron had the hot hand early, scoring Wesley's first 11 points of the afternoon.  After back-to-back jumpers by Charles, Wesley took a 15-8 lead after 5:39 into the game. Marywood would go out on a 12-4 run over the next five-plus minutes of the game to get out to a 24-19 lead.

Wesley would storm back into the game and retake the lead with 1:34 to go in the first half when Cameron made a step-back jumper just outside the paint to give Wesley the 36-35 lead. Another jumper and pair of free throws by Cameron with five seconds left in the half would allow Wesley to take a 40-35 lead over Marywood into the halftime break.

Wesley and Marywood continued their battle at the beginning of the second half. Marywood tied the game at 44 four minutes into the second stanza when Jack DeGroot made the corner 3-pointer to cap a 9-4 Marywood run.

The game wouldn't be tied for long as a minute later, Anderson would knock down a corner 3-pointer of his own to allow Wesley to regain the lead, 47-44.

Following Anderson's three, both teams would trade the lead four times before a Lewis layup with 3:01 left in regulation would give Wesley the 60-59 lead. Wesley would end the game on an 11-4 run to seal the victory.

Wesley (10-11, 4-4 Atlantic East) will be back in action on Wednesday when they host the Cabrini Cavaliers in conference action. The game is scheduled to start at 8 p.m. from Wentworth Gymnasium.